Linda DeAngelo Lidell
One of my fondest memories growing up in an Italian household was waking up on a Sunday morning to the smell of sauce cooking on the stove. Whatever was going on in my life at the time, good or bad, would always give me a sense of comfort and belonging. I have continued on this Italian tradition and more in my home with my husband and son. One of my favorite dishes to share that gives me the same sense of comfort is Risotto. I see that same excited, satisfied look on my family’s face whenever they smell my Risotto cooking on the stove, which gives me great pleasure knowing I can create the same feeling for them. Most Italian restaurants do not offer Risotto so cooking it in my home for my family makes it that much more special. I am excited to share my creation with you in hopes that you can enjoy it as much as my family and I. Please take note that 99% of the time I do not measure ingredients but yet “create” with a pinch and a dash! I’ll be as precise as possible. ENJOY!
Shrimp, Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Cup Arborio Rice
32 oz. Vegetable Broth
1 ½ cups shrimp, cut in half
1 ½ cups fresh Asparagus
1 ½ cups Shitake/Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
¾ cup shredded sharp Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Basil leaves, to garnish
Heat the Vegetable Broth in a separate pot and then simmer.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil & then add the rice stirring for a minute or so.
- Gradually add vegetable broth, a 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring consistently.
- When the liquid has absorbed continue to add a 1/2 cup of broth, stirring continually. Set aside about a cup of liquid to cook the remaining ingredients.
- Gradually add asparagus (blanched), mushrooms & shrimp w/ remaining cup of broth.
- Pour the shredded cheese on top and stir all the ingredients and continue to stir until all liquid is absorbed and everything is cooked.
- Garnish with 2 fresh basil leaves.
- I always serve warm crusty bread with a dipping oil to accompany the Risotto. Perhaps a glass of Vino as well