I absolutely love making pasta sauce. It brings together family and friends. It creates a cozy evening generally filled with great conversation, laughs, & nice wine. I have had many helpful hints and ideas through the years to perfect my sauce. All from wonderful cooks. I start my sauce early in the day and allow it to simmer all day. The aroma through the house is amazing!
Although I never measure -here is my best guestimate
- 1 lb ground lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 or 5 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp of basil dried (½ cup if fresh)
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can of tomato puree
- 1 cup of grated cheese –
- (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- In a large sauce pot, heat olive oil, add minced garlic & brown until garlic is golden.
- In a separate skillet brown ground sausage & beef. Drain off excess oil from meat & add meat mixture to sauce pot w/ the garlic and olive oil.
- Heat back up & add tomato paste.
- Blend all together. Now add all the spices.
- Slowly add all the other variety of canned tomatoes
- Heat thoroughly. Lastly add the grated cheese.
- Reduce heat & allow to simmer (min 2 hrs) stirring occasionally.
- Boil Pasta – add Sauce & EAT !
- Sprinkle w/extra Parmigiano Reggaino